Friday, February 11, 2011

Blogging as a Learning Environment

Using a blog for a class is a new experience for me. Most of the time assignments are formal, from the formatting to the wording. I am enjoying this new environment, and I think the “blogosphere” adds another dimension to class interaction. Using a blog impacts learning because it has created a much more relaxed community for students to interact in. While I am still aware that I am completing a school assignment and that I need to keep my writing professional, I am able to incorporate other creative thoughts and ideas into a blog.  I think we see each other’s personalities on a new level, and we have the opportunity to give each other feedback on nearly everything.  I think it is much easier to scan down the page of blogs I am following and see what each person has written than to watch the discussion boards and continually check for new postings.

I also like how each student has his or her own space to express himself and complete assignments, but we can still form a community by sharing our entries and by following other people. I think this encourages learning because we are able to be independent, yet we come together and receive feedback from others at the same time.  Blogging provides a new avenue of learning, and it has shown me that different types of learning can take place in different online environments. Just as students in a classroom experience learning through various techniques such as reading, listening, and hands-on activities, online students can learn in multiple ways through numerous types of electronic tools like discussion boards, blogs, and other social media that promotes interaction. 

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that blog posts bring out more creativity than other writing assignments. Just from comparing classmates' blogs versus entries in Angel discussion forums one can see how blogs draw out people's personalities.

    I also liked what you mentioned about learning through various techniques. Blogging is very much a hands-on activity and I can see how beneficial it is too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m intrigued that you find it easier to follow the group conversation via our various blogs than on the Angel discussion boards. I’m still trying out various methods of keeping up with other people’s blogs, and feeling that the conversation is a little more scattered than it usually is on Angel.

    I have found it useful to visit each person’s blog to read or re-read the first three or four posts as a group—this gives me a better feel for that individual than reading the blog posts one by one as they appear in Google Reader. (And it definitely gives me a better feel for individual students than I get from Angel discussion boards—usually it’s only by the end of the semester that I’m starting to form a coherent impression of a few students.)

    But for keeping up with the conversation as a whole, it’s trickier to see what everyone thinks about Library 2.0 or to compare the results from everyone’s exercise 1 than it would be if all the posts on each topic were in one place. I’m guessing it will get easier as I go along and get used to this method. If you have any tips, let me know!

    ReplyDelete