Friday, February 18, 2011

RSS Aggregators


I have to admit it; up until this last week, I have never actively used an RSS aggregator.  The thought of sifting through numerous of entries at once reminded me of my email inbox after I subscribed to several groups and was flooded with emails about every topic under the sun. When I didn’t check that email for a couple of days, after logging in there would always be hundreds of notes waiting to be read. That overwhelming feeling of drowning in information would overtake me, and I wanted to close the webpage before I was dragged further into the swirling pool of information.  

Last week I gave in and began using Google Reader.  I don’t have a lot of blogs or websites I check on a daily basis, so I was able to start off small. I discovered the folder feature, and that has become my best friend when sorting links to follow. I created a folder for LIBR 246 blogs of fellow students, and another folder for other blogs and sites we are following for class. Sorting and limiting the amount of information I take in at one time is a definite improvement over seeing everything and not knowing where to start! Now that I have actually taken the time to set up a system and organize my websites, the world of online information is starting to look a lot easier to follow. Maybe, if the entries are glaring at me from the Google Reader, I will actually start browsing blogs and other sources on a more regular basis.

Now that I have an RSS aggregator and after looking over the readings for this week, I am beginning to realize exactly how many topics a person can follow and the wide range of benefits an RSS feed can have. I enjoyed browsing the list of “35 Ways You Can Use RSS,” and I never would have thought of several of the suggestions such as receiving updates from ebay, hearing new music, or getting personal reminders.  The possibilities seem endless, and aggregator tools make it possible to bring all the information together in one place.

In relation to libraries, I think there is great potential for them to benefit from RSS and other tools. Not only could customers track blog entries and library updates, but libraries could incorporate feeds to topical book lists, new book arrivals, calendars and library functions, updated catalog records, research tips, database tidbits, homework help, and more. If the customers subscribe to the feeds and actually check them, RSS can help provide a strong connection between users and libraries.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie. I have been using Google Reader to follow our classmates and it's made the process of following and reading everyone's blog posts much easier and faster. You make a excellent point about using RSS to strengthen the connection between libraries and their patrons. If patrons are familiar with the technology, then libraries can become more relevant to patrons while giving patrons the opportunity to further personalize their library experience. If patrons are not familiar with using RSS, then libraries will need to be willing to show patrons how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie and Brian!

    Viewing our class blog postings through Google Reader has made a significant difference in my ability to follow everyone’s posts. I was frustrating myself for a while trying to read everyone’s postings in the small Blogger Dashboard Reading area, until I finally discovered the View in Google Reader link. In addition to the folders that can be created in Google Reader, I found the ability to distinguish which postings I’ve already read to be particularly helpful. You both also bring up the excellent point regarding technology and relevancy. Just as how I did not realize for a while how helpful Google Reader can be in viewing our class blog posts, patrons need to not only be aware of, but also see the value in various library technology before they can fully benefit from them.

    Thanks for the insights and reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using Google Reader for a year now and have loved it. But, just since this class started have discovered the folder feature as well. It's a great way to bundle your feeds together. I often won't read the class blogs as they come in, instead preferring to handle all of them in on go. This allows me to close the folder and put it a bit out of mind until I need them. Really does help with soothing the information overload. Seems like more sites are coming out with ways to minimize the amount of information you see all at once while still having access to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point, Erin--being able to control how much information shows at once makes a huge difference in our experience with any tool. Thank goodness for a little selective seeing.

    ReplyDelete